Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Un Lac, Philippe Grandrieux


I want to know more about the creation of the sound element. I do not remember if Grandrieux discussed how he recorded sound after shooting -did they record in the same spaces? How did they affect the sound to make is so intense?

There was a moment where Alexi is sleeping and we hear his breathing and snoring -this sound overwhelms others that might be in the space. The visuals are nearly black, the room is so dark. There is a soft warm color of the out of focus close up hand. Of course the image and sound do not match up. Instead they are connected together by their meaning and emotional resonance. Maybe this sound and image are two different expressions of the same meaning. They are both intimate, abstracted and about human connection and closeness.

The visual elements of darkness, close ups of faces (with tears) and hands the darkness and touching and much of these close ups being out of focus do not capture any character's vision or sense of their world. I think the blurriness and obscurity suggest physical sensations. I mean, a close up of an out of focus hand, warm in color and dark, leads me away from the hand itself to the blood, the movement of blood in veins - the hum of being alive. ( I wrote that the night I saw it -so I believe my reactions come from true feelings formed in response to the film --now it seems a little like I'm just trying to make up something meaningful -but then, it seemed accurate.)

(this image isn't quite what I'm talking about -but it is dark and sparse, so the hands become something else...... just look at it)

No comments:

Post a Comment