Monday, April 2, 2012

The Black Power Mixtape 1965-1975


I thought this documentary was very interesting. It's basically a really good edit with some added footage and narration from footage shot Swedish journalists documenting the Black Power Movement in the U.S. In a way, I liked the 'outsider' perspective of the journalists. The questions they asked key leaders such as Angela Davis, felt innocent and even highlighted the insanity of american racism. The harsh realities of african americans in the 60's and 70's made me realize what a different it was.

The footage was mixed with black and white and color film. One of my favorite interview was when Stokely Carmichael interviewed his own mother on camera. It made me question the formality of the documentary format and whether filmmakers have tried breaking those conventions.

-Samira

No comments:

Post a Comment